Monday, January 13, 2014

January 15th 1923

Frankfurt. 
Germany.
Jan. 15th 1923.
Dear Folks:-
I don't know but I imagine you are reading the newspapers, about the conditions here, and are worried about me.  But don't do it, because I am in the hands of the Lord, and there is no need to worry about me.  I think probably things are reported there worse than they really are, it is usually stretched some.
The spirit here is very bad against the Frenchmen. A couple have been lynched here in Frankfurt.  Every hotel or restaurant we go in they ask if we are French and if we  were, woe be unto us.  
Yesterday a large agitation or protest meeting was held, on the street in front of the Shumann Theater, in which thousands were present, but they were told to keep quiet    but be ready.  They sang their national hymn “Deutschland, Deutschland uber all,” or “Germany, Germany over all.”  Today they are more quiet, and I think the storm will blow over without frost. 
I get 11,000 marks for $1.00 today.  A dinner costs 12 to 15 cents, hotel 25 cents. The city is so hard up they can't afford to burn their street lights, therefore the town is left almost in the dark. The people are all busy, working hard, but I don't see how they live, nevertheless, to see how the people dress, and how they flock into the restaraunts to eat, and the stuff they buy, and the beer they drink!!! a person would never think they were having hard times.
I am going to labor in the Stuttgart conference, but in Bavaria, or Munich, in a place where so far, no American has been allowed to remain since the war, but I am going in and convert the police force!!!
I have been in Munich before, that is where I bought my field glasses, which by the way are over $30 now. I got mine with me so far. I have a nine hour ride from here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment