Basel, Switzerland
Nov. 4th 1922.
Mrs. L.L. Bunnell.
8 a.m.
Dear Mother:- I received your letter last Tuesday, Oct. 31st, and by this time you all know how I appreciate to get one. I received the money Wed. Nov. 1st on the afternoon, and if it been only one day later, I would have to borrowed some more money. It just saved my life; because I sure need some now. I am taking my trousers to a tailor this morning to get a new seat put in, and also to lengthen them out. They sure have been balling me out lately about my short trousers so I supposed I had better act. You remember how short they were (on my old suit) when I was home. Well I have grown taller now, and the pants have shrunk some so they come almost ? to the top of my socks. I also must register with the police, which will be about $1.75. They sure are hold ups here on a foreigner. I am not sure whether they can fix my trousers or not, if they can't I supposed it will mean a new suit.
2 p.m.
I have taken my trousers down and they are going to fix them for 10 frans or about $1.85. The rate of exchange now is 5.54 for $1.00. I think it will still go lower, so in order to save a little money, if you can't send "dollars" over please try and send it in smaller quantities, and then oftener, for example 20 to $25 a month. You see then if the rate of exchange changes much, I won't lose so much. The money I got was changed at 5 francs 38 cents, compared with a little less than five francs when I came over. Today ther is over 6,000 marks for $1.00, or it takes about 60 marks for one penny. Two missionaries came in from Hamburg last night, and they were on the train 18 hours, and rode first class, and had a sleeper. It cost each of them 10 cents for the trip. Still they claim that it costs a lot of money now for wearing apparel and food; almost as much as here. I don't see how a Revolution will hold off until spring. A friend (investigator) was over into Ger. last week, and went into a restaurant to get a meal, and they didn't have a thing to give her except black coffee -- without milk. If that is the case what will it be by spring. --Russell Hughes was working in Berlin. I would like the chance to work there myself, but it seems that I must stay in Switz.
I enjoy the Herald's very much. Of course the funnies are a little to laugh at, but probably it will be just as well to add a few others instead. Does it really take 5 cents to send them? Shouldn't they come cheaper?
How are the Boy Scouts now? Is Karl a first class scout? Tell Karl to tell all the Scouts hello for me, and be sure and not forget. Also give Spen my regards. I am sure glad that Merrill Olsen can go back to his work. He never would feel satisfied if he didn't go back. Tell Vern and Minnie I wish them good luck on their trip to Florida. Where is Ida?
Tell one of the boys to shoot a duck for me -(I mean at one)-or let Lamond shoot the Blue Cranes. Nothing like that over here, all talk-talk-talk, then nothing accomplished, only get hoarse.
Being that Lamond is there now, I will answer his letter of Oct. 2nd now because I suppose one letter for all.
I have been offered more than the price I paid for the field glasses, I suppose a dozen times. Nearly every missionary that sees them, either wants them or a pair like them. Lots of them sure kick themselves because they didn't get some too while they were in Ger., but now it is too late. I could sell them at any time now for more than the price I paid. But I wouldn't depart with them until absolutely necessary. See that fly on Mt. Timpanogas!!
Someday I will play horeshoe with you again. Ten mo. day after tomorrow since I left, eins (1), zwei (2), drei (3), vier (4), funf (5), unsu (etc). If Lavina is up in Twin Falls, tell her to tell Nell hello. I wrote her a letter once, and preached the gospel to her man and she never answered. Maybe he is (the husband) nonreligious, and got peeved. If he did tell him to scratch it where it itches, that is what I tell them. Tell Nell to swallow the Doc. of Cov. Tell first Lavina and the kiddies all hello.
The old biddie (the woman that proposed to me ) was here again this week, but I soon ditched her. Some people can't take a hint. I have ordered a bear trap to set at the door, and when she comes I will catch her. But by heck, that would be bad because then I would have her. I never thought of that. But the Rhine is only about 200 yards from my room, so I will feed her to the fish. How will that be? Still I don't believe a shark would eat her, she into poison.
The weather is quite damp again. It has rained almost the whole week. It isn't as cold as it was last week. Nevertheless it is quite miserable. I will be glad when I can have Utah weather again.
There is a large fair here in Basel (for Switz) and it lasts two weeks. It is a Catholic celebration. The only objection I have to it, it has taken many people away from home, and we can't do our regular missionary work. We do lots of walking but can't find anyone home. I haven't seen it all yet, but it isn't anything great. It lasts a week longer yet. It is all free, unless you want to buy something.
I must prepare my Sunday school lesson now, because I must teach again tomorrow, so I will close, wishing you all a good appetite for Thanksgiving, and that it will be a Thanksgiving for you all.
Sincerely,
Frog.
P.S. Last Sunday, Eccles, from Ogden were here in Basel. Say but you can't imagine how it seems to be in company of Americans: Oh! Boy! Just wait!!!
P.P.S. There are certainly lots of beggars on the streets here now. On every corner is somebody passing his own hand. Playing a grind organ, singing, crying, whistling, yelling, moaning or anthing else, coaxing people to give them five cents, whether they are cripples or not. A person would think the whole town is nothing but bums just something to take up the weight.
No comments:
Post a Comment