Monday, January 13, 2014

December 16th 1922

Basel, Switz.
Dec. 16th 1922.
Mr. Merrill John Bunnell.
Dear Brother :- I received your very longed for letter Dec. 12th, and was glad to hear you were on the trip, but I was also sorry not to hear the results of the game.  That night I went up to the office, and they had newspapers there telling of the results, which were still worse.  There 2nd team must be a good one! If you played in Laramie, Wyo. you likely took the same route home as I came on.  What do you think of it? I wish I knew just how that game came out.
It has busted out someway here in the branch about the old dame -B- not worth capitalizing -biddie, proposing to me. Just so it is rightly explained, that is the main thing. The Saints here all know me anyhow, and they don't believe the story, or others say they don't blame her. I think it will come out alright.
Tell Spencer there is absolutely no use of knocking a big railroad train off of the track with that tin can. Tell him to get a big army tank or something that all the bolts will have nuts on, and won't work loose. He is about like with that tin can, as we used to be with his son, trying all kinds tricks, but once it wouldn't serve the purpose.  I suppose he went right to town and got the load, without the wheel they usually do that with tin cans.
How much celery did you get out, and how much froze?  What do you get for a doz? Is it very good? Did you have any peaches this year? Apples? golden delicious? Almonds? How did the duck hunting end up?  Did you get very many this winter? Did the geese come around at all?  What kind of skating is there? What is the price you get for cream now?  How much plowing did you get done? Don't stop until they are all answered. Karl can help. 
I have only ask a few questions, and they are short, but I have one more, but I would certainly like to get your own idea, also the others there, over it.  Last Sunday night, I was called on to talk in the meeting, and I chose for my subject "The Resurrection" I had studied it out before, until I had it clear in my mind, with the exception of one thing, which I did not make clear in my speech.  The question is this: "Will the sons of Perdition Resurrect?" In II Nephi 9:8 it says that if our bodies didn't resurrect, we would be thrown under, and be angels of the devil. In Alma 40:18, it says the resurrection is the reuniting of the spirit and the body, (whole chapter). At the last judgement,  the wicked will be the angels ofthe devil, are the sons of Perdition, and as we know, at the time of the war in Heaven, the devil was cast out with 1/3 of the host of heaven, and this third were denied the priviledge of receiving a body.  Well, those people, who Satan win, are who are cast out, have their bodies, and still be the angels of Satan, or does the 2nd death mean that after the judgement, their bodies be taken away?
As Nephi speaks in II Nephi 9:8, none of the Angels of Satan, will have bodies 1 Cor. 15:22, says that all in Adam must die, and all in Christ will be made alive, or in other words, resurrect.
There was no exception given there. In D. of C. S. 76:31-39 it hints a little tot he fact, also considering other verses, that the partakers of Satan will not resurrect, but be his angels. This is a very deep question, but I would just like your opinions there over.  I have about came to my conclusion, but there is never anything wrong in getting others.  To make the question clearer, "Will the sons of Perdition, or those who are judged us the wicked, at the judgement day, resurrect with their bodies, and keep them, after the judgement, or is this priviledge denied from them, because they would rather follow Satan, than Christ. I will look for an answer soon. Get Papa Jim and Lamond in on it also. Other ref. Alma 11. Mos. 3. D. of C. 76 all, etc.
The house frau, or woman says she is going to fool me. I still rant around in bed like I used to at home, and often times I would have to go chasing across the room to get my cover. Then in the morning it would be all in a knot.  While joking with the frau one morning I told her that I supposed I would have to tie myself in bed.  The next morning, I noticed that she had tied each corner of the covers down to the foot.  They stay fairly good now, and they don't get dirty by being drug on the floor.  Wo be unto whoever I sleep with when I come home.
The house lady makes the beds, and cleans the room out every morning.  Say but it is fine washing here now. These people don't know what it is to wash in warm water, and we have to wash the same way as they do.  The water stands in a pitcher all day and night, then in the morning we pick the ice off of it, pour it out, and also have to use it to shave - ouch - then bury our old heads into it. One consolation is we get rosy cheeks from it.  We have hot water once a week, and that is when we bath.  I always have a shower bath, because there is too much disease around to trust going in a public bath tub.  The shower is very good.  
If you want to ask Frank Taylor to do me a favor, ask him if he will send me the names of some interesting towns he visited while he was in Germany, and if he had any friends there, please tell me who they are. It may be, before I come home I will have a chance to visit there, and by getting a name by some acquaintance in America, it gives a good opportunity to preach the gospel. 
Switzerland held an election  here the other week - election day being Sunday, on some new laws they wanted passed.  The main thing was an income tax. That every man who had over 5,000 francs income should be a certain percent tax, and the higher the income be judged accordingly, to when a man had a million income, half of it would go for tax.  The law was downed by a 7 to 1 vote.  Women don't vote here.  As I understand, the tax on property isn't so much, but the money comes from tariffs, and mostly from an income tax. The law is so here, that if any man or company of men get 10,000 votes on election, which costs them a terrible sum of money. Any citizen has the right to commerce the law, first by getting his voters.
They have two Christmas's here.  December 6th and 25th.  The presents are usually given on the 6th, and it is named "St. Nicholas day."  It isn't nationally celebrated, but is mostly a Catholic day.  Dec. 25th is the largest day, only the toys lack. Anyway they are great celebraters.
Here in this cold weather you see young boys and girls up to 14 years old, chasing around the street, with half socks, and their knees bare. That was also the style in England.  I would just as soon have mine covered.
They certainly have fine horses over here, what few they do have.  They say they most come from America, but the Schweizers are to be admired for the condition he keeps his horses in  It is very seldom you see a poor horse.  If the fact is known when the horse begins to get old, and worthless, he is killed, and dressed and taken to the butcher shop. The meat isn't wasted. They have a special butcher shop here, that just sells horse meat.  It is cheaper than the other and against the law for all to handle horse meat so there is no danger of getting the meats mixed. A good horse, or just an average horse, costs at least $400 here, and so on up to $1,000.  They are getting to discontinue the use of horses, and using trucks, because they are much cheaper, but much dearer, than at home. 
All of the large churches here have their large bells. Most of them have large clocks , which strike every 15 min.  at noon, there surely is a racket.  Also every Sunday morning at nine o'clock, when their meeting commences.   There sure is a clatter that can be heard all over.  They don't play tuneson them like they do in Montreal Can. nevertheless, it is pretty some cold clear mornings whenthe sound echoes.
Their football here is different than at home. They play soccer football. They always have an English name for their team, because it is an English game.  Some names are: "Old Boys Club," "Yound Boys Club," "Lion's Club" etc.  That is about the only sport they have, except boat rowing contests and skiing. They have a great time in the winter, up in the Alps with their skis. As a whole, the people don't seek for pleasure as much here, except those birds who are always in a saloon. They haven't but a very few dances, except in saloon's but very few publiv. There also isn't but very few house parties given, and the pictures shows aren't as largely attended. It seems as though the young people want to be by themselves, in very small crowds. In a way it is very bad, because they get to be so vulgar and stale.  They always want to be alone somewhere. If they were permitted to go out as much as we do at home, they would forget everything else, and soon I believe loose their mind, because they are really not strong enough in mind, to realize society in any other way, than in a vulgar standpoint.  As it is, they are having more society than they can stand, and a good many, I believe  I would be safe in saying 80% have been too weak, to overcome what temptation they have had in their standpoint of view. Society, but to a certain extent I claim it is the lack of society, or the knowledge thereof. 
We are only three missionaries in Basel now, which is a handicap, by working two by two. We are hoping for a new missionary any day.  I work with one Elder here in the morning, then the other in the afternoon, so I get a double dose, but then not doing so much work as before, but more studying, and trying to hit them on the head with a little more force. An Elder is coming in about Jan 1st. and I think I will be made Branch President. He has been conference Pres. in Konigsburg Ger.  and this is also his second mission. I think it will be a good thing for the branch.  
The printers of Switz have went back to work, but they didn't get what they wanted. They lost a 3 week wage and from now on musn't work more hours. Many of the leaders were also others fired. 
These people here are gerat to eat.  They chew at something all day.  When they get out to work after dinner they take a few slices of dry black bread with them to knaw on about 4 o'clock. They usually eat about five times in a day.  For dinner and supper, soup is their hobby. The funny thing about them that the best things they throw away and eat the waste.  They wouldn't eat a raw tomato on a bet. Because we got a hold of a few, and swallowed them whole, we were so glad to get them, they thought we were crazy. They grow celery, and use the roon in soup and throw the stalk or the best part away other things seem to be me, are just done backwards.
I won't hold you from chores any longer, but I will close the "Basler Zeitung." for this time, and add more later. One more thing. During these cold days, the women carry their dirty clothes down to the bank of a river, and carry a little hand washer down there, then do their washing and rinse them out in the river, sure is comical.  Tell the folks I only have about $13 and I would be much obliged for a little aid. May the Lord bless you always,  with progress in your school work and labors through the coming year.
Sincerely,
Elder LeRoy Bunnell.
Klybeckstrasse 78. Basel.

No comments:

Post a Comment