Oct. 14th 1922.
Miss Vinna Bunnell.
Dear Sis:- Well I suppose if this letter gets there by your birthday, I will have to be sending it. I really haven't time to write, but it is already a week since I wrote, so you will be expecting a letter.
I received a letter this week from Papa, Mama, and Merrill, all together. I was sure glad to hear from them. I have also received newspapers twice. They sure are fine.
I was in Bern last Sat. and Sunday, but it rained continually, and also we had so many meetings that all I saw in the whole two days, was just the street between the railroad station, and the meeting house.
I even didn't have a chance to eat for 24 hours. Bern is built up very peculiar. The sidewalks are all built under the buildings, something like Taylor's Bro's. only not soo wide (about 6 ft.) and not so high (7ft.). I also saw the old famous clock in Bern. The conference was certainly fine, only not very well attended. There were about 30 missionaries there.
I still make mistakes in the language. The other night, I was visiting a friend, and she was telling me some of her religious experiences, and I meant to tell her she was a little over religious, and instead I told her she was a little crazy. She sure looked at me cross eyed, but it was a day later before I realized my mistake.
The other day while tracting, I found a lady, that had had seventeen children, and ten of them are dead. Of course my topic there was Salvation for the dead, and as I explained it to her, she broke down and cried. I talked to her for over an hour. The next door I went to, the woman broke out all over , and oh! how she did tear into me because I was a Mormon. I gave her the verse from Math 16, about sign seekers, then told her right out, that those people who always find fault with the Mormons, are the same. I also told her that 99 chances out of 100, she herself was an adulterous woman. She didn't deny it at all, but just slammed the door in my face. Just the same, she had something to think about, and she don't need to think that she can be pure and clean, just by her words.
Well I just passed my 21st milestone yesterday. If I was there now I could vote. I will probably get a chance later. I hope the Republicans win.
I have a new companion now, Elder Wayne Stratford, from Pocatello. He has studied a little German in school, but he can't talk, but just a few words. He is about the same age as I am, and I am satisfied, if they don't bring some other local man in here, or somebody else that needs to be watched, everything will go fine.
Say tell Merrill not to worry too much about me and the German girls. They are nothing to worry about. One of my friends (an old widow) just came to the room not long ago (15 minutes) and brought me a bouquet of roses, but she is too old - ha -ha, The bomb Merrill sent was two days early. It reached me two days before my birthday. Say, why don't some of you study German in school, so I can talk to you when I come back.
No Father, I can't preach a sermon a rod long. We are not supposed to talk over 20 minutes, and I only get a chance once a month, so they can't expect too much. I would also like to see you drop in here sometime. The only trouble I could preach for an hour and you wouldn't understand me. Try and make it so you can meet me here- when I am released.
Say, before I forget. Would it be possible to send me one of those Indian arrow heads (a small one) in a registered letter. If so, please do it.
Last Tuesday night I sit up all night with an old saint here 78 years old. That is something new for me, but all went good. I think he will pass away in the next day or two.
Well Vinna, it is time to close so I will wish you many happy returns for your birthday, and hope that all goes good with you. Praying the Lord to bless you.
Lovingly,
LeRoy Bunnell.
P.S. I will send the mate to that post card next letter.
No comments:
Post a Comment