Tuesday, April 8, 2014

February 4th 1923

Stuttgart. Ger. 
Feb. 4th 1923.
Mr. Elvin Wayne Bunnell.
Dear Brother:-
What do you know about it, I am still in Stuttgart, and haven't been picked out yet.  That seems peculiar to me, to be in one place one week at a time. 
Just think, this is the second time I have had to write to Elvin for his birthday, since I left home. The time sure fly's, or flies, however you spell it.  I think after I write you another letter after this one, (for your birthday). I will be home shortly after. What is that saying? I sent it something like "sweet eleven and never been kissed." If I am not mistaking, that is your age Feb. 28th, isn't it? Keep a going, and you'll be a man before your Mother yet.  Es ist eigenturnlich, wie die kleine kinder wachsen. Nit?
I suppose you think I am extravagent writing on golden edged stationary. It is terribly, but twenty five sheets, and twenty five envelopes , cost me all of 6 cents, it did, it did, yan't did. Ach! du beiber heinrich was ist Los?
These prices are learning me bad habits, everything I see is so cheap, I want to buy it and all in all it counts up.  Still I have nothing yet, that I didn't need.  I have been here now three weeks, and with all of my bills, debts, train fares, taxes, and all I have paid out about $12.00. There is lots of stuff though, that I would like to buy, and send home. I am going to start doing it as soon as I get some dollars here.  What do you think about it? Ask Papa what he thinks about me buying some stuff up and sending it home. There will never be another oppurtunity like now.  In the form of pocket knives, necklaces, beads, cameras (very best $10). Small field glasses etc.
It has been ten days again since I received anything from home. It lacks only four days of being a month since I heard any news from America.  Wach awf, briefe sind sehr angenehm in Deutschland. Ich bin hien busse zupredigen. Es ist geit jetzt fur einen Bruf.
Last Wednesday, the mark dropped to 46,000 to the dollar.  I took advantage of it and bought me a very comfortable pair of shoes for 83,000 marks, or about $1.90. That is what it costs to half sole a pair in Basel. The next two days it raised to 36,000 for $1.00. The street car fare here lately is 1/4 and 1/5th cent. Things sure are cheap, but by taxes from the government here, it costsa quite a bit.  Tonight, I had a good supper in a high classed restaurant, with beef steak, potatoes, vegetables, bread and a piece of pie for 4.400 marks, or 10 cents.
I have some good news to tell you.  maybe though it is better for me than you. On Feb. 17 & 18, there is a conference iin Berlin for the whole mission.  Apostle McKay will be there.  All missionaries are specially instructed to be there.  How does that sound? It is over a twelve hour ride from here with a through train, and the cost for 2nd class is 17,000 marks, or about 40 cents. Get that! 40 cents. Shall I go? Nine, garnicht, dassist zu teuer! Ach! du biebe zuit, wir mussen hier ein korb tragen, unser gelt unzunehrner. Excuse me, can you read German? While I am there, I am going to take time Berlin anguschauen, I mean to see Berlin, was denken Sie? We sure intend having sometime up there.  Ah boy, all American's getting together like that once more, Hip! Hip! Hoo- Excuse me, I am now in Germany.
Well Elvin,  how is the world treating you? I'll bet you don't say "Now quit that"!!! Like you did when I was there, or do you? I can just see you hustling to the wood pile, to get Mamma some wood, or to the coal shed, to get coal, or running some other small errand to save those tired legs of Mothers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment