Basel, Schweiz.
Oct. 22, 1922
Variwood Farm.
Dear Folks:-
In the letter I wrote yesterday, I told you about the old lady proposing to me. You remember she also asked me not to dance. Well, I fooled her. Pres. Ballif is not so terribly strict about that and he was present last night, so after one of the missionaries had danced several times, I got President Ballif's permission, and danced with Evelyn, his daugther. Say but you should have seen that woman stick her giraffe neck up in the air, and almost climbed on the tables and look. She sure didn't know what to think. During the whole evening I hadn't spoken to her at all, so it was not long after, she came down to where I was, and asked me for my answer. If I ever told anybody the truth, I did her. I told her I never came over here to find a wife, but to preach the gospel of Christ. I told her I felt very sorry, that she had taken me on instead of the gospel, but just the same she had heard enough of the gospel, that she is responsible now. I told her I would not come anymore to her place, but I would send other missionaries. I told her a few otehr things, which she never thought I would, but just the same I told the truth. She didn't seem to get sore (she is too simple) and promised to come right on to the meetings as usual.
Well I must study my S. S. lesson so will close for this time, and finish another time. Auf Wieder Sehen.
Oct. 26th 1922.
I got another letter from the biddie today, simpler than ever. I had a chance to talk in meeting last Sunday night, and I slammed pretty hard, even if she was there. It doesn't seem to make much difference with her, how many slams she gets. She also sent me 5 fr. or $1.00 in the letter, but I won't use it, I will give it as a fast offering or tithing or something. I certainly think it is the bunk. She tries her best to get me to come again, but I won't. I think to get away from her I will have to leave Switzerland, becaues it seems that she hasn't enough sense to take a hint. I am going to take the letter to Pres. Ballif again.
It snowed just a little here today. It certainly is cold. We had to give up and make a fire. it is too cold to study without. Good night for this time, and I will finish Saturday. I have eaten too much sauer kraut to write more tonight.
Oct. 28th 1922.
I received a letter from Mother Oct. 23rd, was glad to hear of the success you had in the fair. How much money did you get out of it? Did the county pay anything? What was the score to the football game? Where does Merrill play? I would like the chance to work some of my fat off. I hope when I get back I will be able to do a little more in such lines. I have been nothing but an old dummy in school, and never accomplished anything. I feel about the same way here, that I am about 100 years behind time, which almost equals me to a Swiss man.
There was one of the Saints died last Sunday morning, and the people here are so religious??? that they wouldn't take his body away on Sunday, and let him lay until Monday. The family was afraid to stay there alone so I sit up there all night - (to see that Bro. Yinkel wouldn't get up and run away). He was buried Tuesday, and I am almost sure that when they broke through the large stones on the coffin (the grave yard was very gravely) that they broke through right on his body. How would you like to be buried like that? Not for me.
I went up and saw Pres. Ballif this morning, and showed him the letter from the Biddie, and he sure did laugh. One of the boys in the Bureau is going to write her a letter, and tell her to mind her business, and if she says anything more to me I will answer her in three words, and the first two are go to____. If there is anymore said, I will have to leave Basel. I was just about to be sent either to Bern, or Zurich, but Pres. Ballif says he needs me here in Basel to much at present, to shop me away, but still I wouldn't be surprised, if I would leave before another month.
I supposed when you get this letter, you will be about done with the sugar beets. How did they turn out? How does the plowing go this fall? Who does it? Is the ground very wet?
I haven't more to write, only that I feel the bunk, and that the work that I have done in Basel is in vain, that frau Schnid has undone more than I have done. Nevertheless, I have warned a good many people. I hope in the future I will feel better. It sure feels tough to be out spending so much time and money and still have no progress.
May the Lord bless you all in your labors.
Sincerely,
Elder LeRoy Bunnell.
Klybeckstrasse 78.
Basel.
P.S. The money hasn't come, but maybe it will be here in a few days.
P.P.S. Please forward this letter to Leona. There are so many other letters lost, this is the surest way.
P.P.P.S. Ask Leona what she thinks of my address on the envelope.
No comments:
Post a Comment