Jan.
31st 1922
Basel
Dear
Folks :- I am in Basel to stay. It is certainly a fine place. They
have a very good bunch of church members here. There are about 250
saints. They are very kind indeed. I have already visited a number
of them. I feel very much satisfied. If I get real anxious to talk
English I can come back to the office here at Leimenstrasse 49. The
Ballifs are surely fine people. We have ate most of our meals here
since I arrived here in Basel. I have felt more at home since I
arrived in Basel then anytime since I left America. The people here
are so much better people then any through England or France. If it
wasn't for the language it wouldn't be possible that I was so far
from home. The only thing it takes letters so long to come. It took
the letter I got from Irwin 19 days. I can't help expressing how
happy I am that I am going to stay in Basel. I won't have to go out
on a train all alone for a day or so. Of course I would have rather
gone out into Germany and learned high German. I will demand the
best Ger. talk I can get. They talk about medium German here.
I
can't write on both sides of the paper because it is too thin.
Yesterday
we went to the zoo garden of Basel. They had all sorts of animals
and birds from Europe and Africa. They had a few from America but
not many. They had even a pelican there.
Last
night five of us went down to (Schwester). Vrecks. They are very
good singers . They sang German to some of the songs of Zion and we
sang English (I tried to). It certainly seemed at home. It
certainly gives one a spirit to visit these saints. If one gets a
little homesick the saints will ease our feelings. I am getting to
feel perfectly at home at the saints. Of course I don't know what
they say about me, but I feel like it is all for the good.
Most
of the Elders are staying in Switz. Seven stay here and one goes to
Dresedenger. I am the only one in Basel.
I
don't think it will cost me over $15 a month. It will be very few
meals we will have to buy.
Well
I will close for this time. I sure feel like the work will be fine
after I get started. I expect the time to fly like everything after
I get the language. Well take good care of yourselves and God bless
you at all times.
Yours
Truly.
Le
Roy
No comments:
Post a Comment