Sunday, October 6, 2013

July 22nd, 1922

No. 8
Basel.
July 22nd
Mrs. L.L. Bunnell.
Dear Mother:- I was sure glad to hear once more from home after a two weeks lay off. I thought perhaps America had all blown up. I felt about like Lamond did in Australia when he wrote that song, When the boat didn't bring a letter for him, when i waited so long and heard nothing. Of course though i didn't write any peotry about it.
Don't worry about me being tarred and feathered or anything like that. It isn't that bad here. These people here like to talk, but that haven't any force behind it. I don't worry about such things at all. In fact, it tickles me when they start yelling "help, murder here is a mormon," and they want to throw me down the stairs. Still this doesn't happen very often. We are treated much better now than a while ago. The police never say anythign at all. All they have police for, is so they can get on the best side of the women. Last week I saw two men scraping on the street, and the police sticking their heads around the corner, watching them, but didn't say a word. The men were trying their best to hurt each other, but neither one could do it. I see now why they haven't any pugilists here. when the people once turn me out, I don't go back again. There is no use throwing pearls among the swine. I never try and quarrel with them, when they say they don't want it, I let them go.
Say for Pete's sake, tell Lake View to put their gloves away to the little kids. They might as well let me play, so they could beat you a little worse. Who plays? And who pitches? I think I will go out this afternoon and play football, whith the fellows of the branch. this isn't in a game, but just for fun.
Tell Leona she had better eat a little more, so she can grow. She certainly must be skinny now. I sure hope she soon gets better. I have also lost 11 lbs in the last couple of months, but I am feeling better now than for a long time.
So Merrill is stepping American Fork again. I thought he would, and I don't blame him. Just wait til I get the chance again, I won't be as dead, (and bashful) as before. Just go until old top.
Monday is the 24th of July. We missionaries are going to celebrate, by not working. Probably we will take a walk out to some of the neighboring towns, possibly to Dornach, and see some more of those old castles out there. The saints are not celebrating.
Nothing has happened since I wrote the last letter, only, I have been, very busy, just with the missionary work. We are working a little with the friends again now, and I enjoy it much better.
I think the saints are all feeling better now. In the meetings we have better spirit, and there isn't so much backbiting as there was. I know myself I feel much better. There are a few that we must disfellowship but that when done will make a better feeling here.
Last week it snowed down to 3,000 feet altitude on the Alps, so you can see we have had some cold weather here. It is much better now though. It is more like summer weather.
Well there is nothing more to write at present, so I will close for this time, hoping you are all well and happy, and that Leona will soon be better.
Sincerely,
LeRoy
Klybeckstrasse 78.
P.S. Say I sent to New York and got a boy scout handbook. We intend to start up scout work. Ask Irwin if he would send 40 cents to 200 fifth Ave. New York to the scout headquarters, and tell them it is for me. I would do it only i haven't any American cash.

P.P.S. How is Karl coming with the scout work. Is he first class scout yet? Tell all the scouts hello for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment