Monday, June 17, 2013

June 17th, 1922

Basel
June 17th, 1922.
Dear Folks:-
I have about 20 minutes to finish this letter and send it off, so you won't get much more.
Trouble is coming up here all the time. You know I told you about Luscher family, where we had to go and settle so many quarrels, and now he is making Hell for us. He is to blame because Bro. Haltinner and Elder Gliech were driven out of Liestal. He is a pretty big man with the police, and he sure has been feeding them not only in Liestal, but here also. I have to register here with the police again, and I fear I will have trouble doing it. they are sure getting to know us "mormons" here now. I think the old man Luscher must of wrote an article in the paper, because everybody are sure against us now. Some of the friends have turned back on us, but it is them to suffer and not me. yesterday Elder Plewe took his watch to a jeweler to get a crystal put in his watch. He never told the jeweler who he was at all, but when he came back to get the watch, the jeweler had a tag on it "a mormon". How he knew is more than I can tell, because we've never been there before. They seem to know us everywhere we go.
I am afraid I will have to have my eyes tested. Every afternoon for the last week I have had a terrible headache, and my eyes also ache. I think I will buy a pair of dark glasses, and try them a while. I blame it on the sun shining on the cement street and glaring up in my eyes.
For the last couple of weeks we've been buying milk from the milk man, and drinking it cold. It hasn't been treating us very good, so we will have the Frau boil it for us. It must be terribly dirty in the barns. Milk costs 7 cents a quart here now.
I expect I will have to go to Germany now to see the Passion Play. I think Elder Snell has ordered my ticket. The trip will cost about 20 dollars but I can save that on a suit of clothes alone, that is if I can get it back again. I must also buy socks, shoes, and shirts. I would never consider going if I thought I couldn't make more money than it cost, by buying my clothes there.
It has been very cold here again for the last two weeks. We have had much more rain, and  I think it will rain more today.
Well I must close, so I can go to the meeting. Hoping you are all well.
Sincerely
LeRoy
P.S. How are the crops looking? Is the stand of beets good?

P.P.S. I am going to start to number the letters and you do the same, because other fellows are losing letters, and I want to see if we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment