Monday, January 14, 2013


Jan. 14th 1922.
Mr Elvin Bunnell.
Dear Skinny :- No doubt you will be surprised to hear from the hotel again.  Well you are not, I am out on the Atlantic feeling fine.  I got this stationary at the hotel when I left.
If you can't read this I can't help it, because between the boat and me together, I am lucky to be able to hold the pen at all.
The ocean isn't rough yet.  I would not be afraid on it here with a row boat.  But all the same it has a continual swing back and forth, up and down from the dead swells from the storm the other day.  The water is sure pretty as it rolls away from the boat.
There are a block of seagulls still following us.  There are probably 500 of them flying over the boat most of the time.  we have been traveling about 15 hours.  We are not only but a few miles out in the ocean because we are following up the shore to Halifax, where they are going to take on more stuff. We will be there about a day. That is the reason I am writing this letter, so they will mail it at Halifax.
They have not yet permitted us to go through the ship. That is on top, down in the engine room, in front, or the back down the sides, etc. etc. etc. etc.  Probably they will after we are all seasick.
Every one of the sixteen of us are feeling a little lacking in the upper story, and like we will probably be lacking in the center story.  I feel so lazy I hate to move.  I am still able to eat heartily, and get around.  I think I feel about as fresh as any of them.  A few have gone to bed already.  It is just 11:30.
I am sending you a post card of the ship. Notice the dimensions on the back.  They have a capacity of about 2,000 but there are only about 700 on.  There are but few accomodations to pass away the time.  There is no gym, or anything to do any physical exercise.  They have a bookstore, smoking room and card room.  It is very clean, that is a very good thing.  We can act here just like some rich bug.  We can tell the steward anything we want and he will try and do what he can for us.
The third class passengers are loaded on the back end of the boat.  Is is all clean back there but it isn't near as safe or well protected as it is here.  They haven't any accomodations at all like a lobby or things like we "should" have.
We are going to land at Halifax about 5: o'clock.  We are likely to be on the trip from Halifax about 8 days to Liverpool.  I sure wish I could hurry up and get over there and get to work.  I am tired of traveling. Believe me I don't see where people like to travel, for me, I would rather pitch hay than travel on such a long trip.  I hope that when I get there I can stay at one place and let that be in the country. City life gets my goat.
Well I will close again, hoping you are well, and remain so.
Yours Truly.
Le Roy Bunnell
P.S. Do you eat any potatoes or mush yet.  Eat a little bit for me, because things you buy aren't as good as those at home.
Do  you still call "Old Toig."

No comments:

Post a Comment